Olney Runners Juniors
Olney Runners Juniors offers quality coaching in a safe and supportive club environment. Junior runners between 12-18 years old, of all abilities, are very welcome.
Sessions are led by Run Leaders and Running Coaches who are suitably qualified and have their DBS checks in place. The sessions are specifically tailored for children, ensuring that their bodies are not put under too much strain and that they are running the correct distances. We also encourage the children to take part in local cross-country leagues, Parkruns etc. but do not put them under pressure to do so.
Previous running experience is not essential … but we hope and expect all Olney Runners Juniors to be willing to have fun, take part, work hard, support each other, and improve themselves by learning from the Run Leaders and other Juniors.
It’s a great little club!
- We have around 70 regulars that usually train in 3 smaller groups (organised by general running ability i.e. stamina and speed), with 3-4 adults per group.
- We meet at Olney Ousedale in the car park at 7pm on Thursdays, but during term times only. The session finishes at 8pm back at the school. Travel to/from the school is parents’/Juniors’ responsibility.
- We expect all Juniors to arrive on time or earlier, dressed appropriately (hi-viz/light coloured in winter please), and wearing running footwear (not fashion trainers).
- We welcome Juniors who work hard, enjoy running, follow instructions, and are cooperative, respectful and supportive of other Juniors, the Run Leaders and the wider Olney community. The procedure for any concerns about Junior runners' behavior can be found at ORJ behaviour procedure
- Children cannot take part without parents completing a Juniors membership form, which includes medical details and parental consents. Parents must sign the membership form before their children can run with us – we do not accept Juniors in the group without a signature of consent.
NEW APPLICATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP - We only have two ‘windows’ during the year when we handle new applications. These are when school-term Thursday ORJ sessions are running (1) between late June and mid-September; and (2) during the month of February. Exact dates are available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. On the very first week that a new member attends, parents should come along with the Junior runner and their form at least 10 minutes early, to meet the Run Leaders and to settle in.
RENEWAL OF MEMBERSHIP - For existing members, this takes place between late June and mid-September only.
- Whether applying for or renewing membership, parents can either (1) print, complete and sign the Junior Membership Form – one per Junior; or (2) ask for a form at a Thursday session. Completed, signed forms can be handed in on a Thursday session.
- Parents can choose to pay a voluntary contribution of £15 per year for each Junior membership (although for children of Olney Runners adult members it is free). Details are on the membership form which can be downloaded by clicking here Junior Membership Form
Age limits and responsibilities
Year 7 children can only take part in Olney Runners Juniors sessions once they turn 12 years old.Young people aged 16 and 17 years can join adult group running sessions on offer at other times of the week, but for these they must ALWAYS be accompanied by a parent or guardian who takes responsibility for them during the session, and both people would join the club as adult members. Young people aged 15 and younger cannot join adult group running sessions under any circumstance